Who you’ll be working for:
A Civil Engineering business who specialise in residential developments and large scale civil engineering contracts across Cumbria, Scotland and throughout the North West.
The people you’ll be working with:
Reporting to the Directors, you’ll work with a growing team based in their Head Office in North Cumbria.
What you’ll be asked to achieve:
You will be responsible for preparing preliminary budgets, cost estimates, and bid proposals for various types of construction and civil engineering jobs.
You will be tasked with building effective relationships with team members, internal and external customers, suppliers, and subcontractors. You will report to the company Directors.
In order to fulfil this you will be required to:
- Prepare estimates with the necessary level of detail for all design stages, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare quantity take-offs and estimated costs of materials, labour, and plant required to fulfil all provisions of the contract from simple to complex.
- Evaluate material, labour and plant pricing for all trade disciplines.
- Assist with maintaining the estimating cost database to ensure costs are up to date.
- Manage job-specific estimating teams in the assembly and submission of bids.
- Establish responsibilities and delegate actions to team members; coordinate and supervise work; establish schedule for the completion of tasks to meet project requirements; keep Sales Director advised in regard to timescales.
- Review estimates to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal submission.
- Consult with clients, architects, subcontractors, and suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, identify cost savings, and resolve issues.
- Study specifications to assist the operations team in planning for construction.
- Research construction documents and analyse specifications to determine estimated costs.
- Work with the operations team throughout the pre-construction process in reviewing plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining the requirements of the project.
- Understand how to create proper bid packages and provide alternative bids.
- Ensure that all work items from scope review are included in the estimate and that the cost trail from Sales to Contracts is clear and correct.
- Manage the supplier selection process, ensuring that the appropriate team members are part of the approval process for suppliers. Issue bid invitations to subcontractors - Ensure adequate bid coverage for each trade package, generate interest and get commitments on subcontractor participation.
- Review subcontractor and supplier bids for conformity to contract requirements and determine acceptable bids.
- Present and explain project budgets to clients, designers, and operations teams.
- Communicate with subcontractors on key issues, such as project schedule, scope of work, and other bid information.
- Seek and qualify new subcontractors.
This role would suit someone who has:
- A forward thinking nature, and ability to be a progressive team member who has excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- A thorough understanding of project logistics and programmes.
- Strong knowledge of standard estimating practices.
- Excellent oral and written business communication skills.
- Comfortable and convincing in presentations and project interviews.
What’s in it for you?
- A fantastic opportunity join a growing team in a new business venture
- Excellent remuneration package
- Ability to work in a close knit team environment
- Rewarding bonus scheme